Today I had coffee with my Spanish friends as usual. We sat and enjoyed our hot coffee with warm milk and lots of cookies and cake. I think Elise ate 10 cookies.
Afterward a little time to relax and chat, Maria showed me how to make a Spanish tortilla. It’s nothing like a tortilla that you’d buy in a store. This one is made of potatoes and eggs, but is served for any meal. They were having theirs for lunch. Her kids eat it with ketchup, but she serves it also with aioli – an eggless mayonnaise. In Spain, mayonnaise is illegal to serve in the summer. Restaurants cannot serve it at all in the hot months because of past problems with salmonella poisoning. But, aioli, is even better. The recipe is below. Enjoy!
- Peel 6 medium-sized potatoes (we used those thin-skinned ones), then cut them into thin slices like you would for scalloped potatoes. Put into large microwave safe bowl.
- Mince one small yellow onion and cook over med-high heat until tender in 3T. olive oil.
- Mix oil and onion into potatoes.
- Cover and microwave for 15 minutes or until all the potatoes are cooked through and soft.
- Beat 6-7 eggs well.
- Pour eggs over potato onion mixture and mix well. It is ok if the potatoes break up a bit. Salt to taste.
- Heat a deep non-stick smooth surfaced pan. (It has to be big enough for the entire batch)
- Add 3-4T olive oil to pan.
- Pour potato egg mixture into pan and cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
- Using plate or a pan lid, flip tortilla onto the plate or lid, then slide it back into the pan gooey side down to cook for another 3-4 minutes. Flip a couple more times cooking for 20 seconds each until done. Both sides will be brown. The middle should be set and cooked through. (My friends left it a bit gooey in the middle and like it that way. The piece I took home was put in the microwave for another 2 minutes so that it would firm up. It was delicious.)
NOTES: This would be excellent with diced bacon and leeks sautéed in with the onion.
Combine 1 part milk with 2 parts vegetable oil. Add 2-3 peeled garlic cloves and a pinch of salt. Blend thoroughly until it is thick and creamy in consistency.